Skip to main content

Olive Garden Wishes They Had Enough Breadsticks For Me

To those who feel their appetites are insatiable,

As someone who is both:

                           A: Constantly filled with anxiety over the future, for example: college.
  And B: An avid food fanatic,

I was pleasantly surprised to see the University of Chicago’s essay prompt, questioning the legitimacy of unlimited food despite the limited amount of matter in the universe, denouncing the staple of all buffets, American food chains, etc: the “All-You-Can-Eat”. Hypothetically, if I could eat an infinite amount of breadsticks, how would Olive Garden supply the food to quench my starvation? In the wise words of Raina Hatcher: time to physics the shit out of this problem.
Image result for palpatine breadsticks meme
Pictured above: me utilizing my force lightning to force Olive Garden to feed me more breadsticks. (jk, its Palpatine, could you tell?)
To grasp the situation, we must first look at the actual construction of the universe. Is the universe finite, limited to the approximated (I put emphasis on approximated, considering that a meatsack cannot possibly accurately measure something they evidently do not understand) 93 billion-light years across (a value which is supposedly getting larger and larger by the minute?), or is the universe an infinite plane, or perhaps: a multiverse?
The nature of the universe in itself is truly the answer to this problem, because if we are to make the assumption that the universe is finite, the question becomes infinitely harder to solve. But perhaps, if we were to live in an infinite universe… (cue the foreshadowing music).

If the universe was to be infinite, we find ourselves with a serious consequence: duplication. As we travel throughout the universe, eventually, you’d find yourself looking at particles which are eerily similar. Shit, Houston, am I travelling in circles? (Chances are Houston won’t respond, considering if you are at this point, you’re likely so far that automatic communication has ceased, and it’ll take light years for your message to deliver. But, then again, if you are this far away from Earth, technology has probably developed enough to allow for this automatic intergalactic communication. So, carry on.)
Well, my fellow meatsack universe explorer, the likelihood that you’re travelling in circles is low. Assume that the number of particles within your little space area is finite, which allows for the assumption that the particles within that little space area also are finite, in terms of their configurations. To make the conclusion that there are a finite number of configurations for particles within a certain area, we can infer that in an infinite universe, as you travel, eventually you’ll find a literal duplication of that specific area. I’m not kidding
And this conclusion proposes so many different possibilities: infinite yous, infinite dogs, infinite Olive Gardens… which means...unlimited breadsticks? It is essentially like having a multiverse within our own universe.
See, because although there may be a finite amount of matter in the observable universe, we have no clue in hell about the actual nature of the universe itself. So, hypothetically, if the universe was infinite, that would pave the path for the legitimacy of Olive Garden’s unlimited breadsticks deal (which is good news for my infinite hunger). Now, we just have to figure out how communication is taking place, and if Olive Garden has been secretly hiding the technology they’re using to communicate with these intergalactic fellow Olive Gardens. Is this the start of a new conspiracy theory? 

Sincerely, 

An-extremely-hungry-Nicole-with-a-tin-foil-hat-on-at-12:50PM


Image result for breadsticks meme

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception of Reality Part 1: Physicalism vs. Dualism

Fellow Humans, I began to write this piece about sitting on my roof… something about moonbows and how the moon looked like a hologram in the mist… Before deciding you likely don’t care. Instead, I am going to simply begin rambling about perception and reality. Also fair warning, I have a bad habit of writing in an unnecessarily confusing manner - doing my best not to, but will probably fail. Stay with me. For attempt two I begin: Is anything real? What is the nature of reality? Do you have a ‘mind’, or are you just a physical body? Incase this piece becomes dreadfully long, I shall spoil the ending… we still have no fucking clue. Since the beginning of Epistemology (the philosophy of knowledge, the study of knowing) the philosophies of Reductive Physicalism and Substance Dualism have dueled. (this is a bad pun but I refuse to apologize) Physicalism vs. Dualism Let us jump right in; (Reductive) Physicalism is the philosophical position that everything which exists is nothing more th

The Introduction to the Weirdest Stream of Thoughts You've Ever Read

An Introduction to Nicole’s Weird Stream of Thoughts I would like to make it clear from the get-go that I, in absolutely no way, am qualified to write a book about physics, philosophy; frankly, I don’t even think I’m qualified to write a blog period. I’m a 16-year-old girl, who ironically, is not academically talented in the slightest. I may not be qualified now, but call me back in 16 years and see if my list of qualifications has gotten longer. Hopefully, I’ve gotten off my couch and decided to contribute to society. Or at least gone for a jog.  There’s a well-known cliche of a saying: Curiosity killed the cat. For some reason, people seem to subconsciously live by this quote. There's lacking interest in the unknown -- there’s a fear of what the unknown holds, what it means, or perhaps it's the fear of the work you’re required to do in order to solve the mysteries of the unknown. Physics, cosmology, philosophy --- they’re all equally complicated subjects. Most scien

A Paradoxical World

Dear, You. If you expect this article to reach a conclusion, you will be disappointed. if we do not know what it is that we do not know, there is no way we can know what we know. so all that we can know, is that we do not know; and by the same effect, we still cannot know that. As someone who must search for the meaning behind every apparent aspect of their life, I have always been astounded by the universally polar description of my interests. I find physics and other STEM fields to be fascinating, in the same sense that I have been a devoted painter for the majority of my life - and more recently, a ‘poet’. These fields, means of understanding, have always appeared to be direct opposites. The antithesis of each other... I disagree. Both science and art are human attempts to understand and describe the world around us. The subjects and methods have different traditions, and the intended audiences are different, but the motivations and goals are fundamentally the same. One of the most