Skip to main content

Simply, A Bowling Ball On Top of a Blanket

Dear a gravitating and dope reader, 


The American high school educational system seems to always find very miniscule ways of being oh-so-very incorrect. I can’t tell you if it’s a result of normalized vocabulary or plain human stupidity (or I could just be really critical and nitpicky, giving the illusion of incorrectness in my eyes), but we must get one fact straight before we move on: gravity is not a force. I repeat: gravity is not a force. This common misconception makes me scream internally. 
Albert Einstein created the “Theory of Relativity” as a general descriptor for the unification of “special relativity” and “general relativity”. Contrary to Newtonian physics, which describes gravity as a force, Einstein instead theorizes that this supposed “force” of gravity is in fact a byproduct of the curvature of spacetime.

An object with this much mass on a cold blanket would probably have the gravitational pull of a black hole. Or, conversely, me after eating 6 dominoes pizzas at 3 AM (completely factual, happens often).

Imagine that the entire plane of the universe was a stretched out blanket, except instead of being warm and fuzzy, the universe is cold, unwelcoming and not here for your bullshit. Now, imagine I place a tennis ball on top of the metaphorical-cold-unwelcoming-blanket-universe. The curvature produced by the tennis ball simulates gravity.
Now, imagine I put a bowling ball on top of this said blanket. The curvature produced would be much more pronounced and much deeper. More massive objects have a higher gravitational pull, as showcased by the much deeper curvature. Hypothetically, if the bowling ball and tennis ball were next to each other on the cold-spacetime-blanket, and I were to place a marble in between the two objects, the marble would be attracted to the bowling ball.
Summarized, gravity is the byproduct of the curvature of spacetime, but the indications about the universe that Einstein builds off of this fact is what truly makes the Theory of relativity so much more gravitating (an unintentional, yet superior and underappreciated pun). 
Time is subjective. On one hand, some like to view time as a human-made construct based on a naturally occurring phenomenon. But, the experience of time passing by in itself is relative (great word choice on Einstein’s part). For one, in areas of high gravitational pull, time moves by slower, a phenomenon described using the term “time dilation”.
As we’ve discussed, gravity is essentially the byproduct of the bending of spacetime, therefore a higher gravitational pull indicates a much deeper and pronounced curve. Thus, time in itself is impacted by differences in gravity. You are literally bending time
Einstein’s new ideas also unintentionally led to the prediction of black holes, white holes, neutron stars, and plethora of other theoretical/proven astronomical anomalies --- anomalies which I personally find to be some of the most interesting things to study in physics. We’ll get to some of those a little later. 
So, give your daily thanks to Albert Einstein for giving an intriguing preface to what is one of the most interesting eras in astrophysical history (and don’t forget his first wife Mileva Maric, who is undeservingly overlooked despite her contributions to his theories. Welcome to historical sexism! We totally undermined the development of society by being discriminatory assholes. Woo, humanity). 


Sincerely, 
A pondering-if-time-is-even-an-entropy-or-if-i’m-even-alive-Nicole at 1:21AM 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception of Reality Part 1: Physicalism vs. Dualism

Fellow Humans, I began to write this piece about sitting on my roof… something about moonbows and how the moon looked like a hologram in the mist… Before deciding you likely don’t care. Instead, I am going to simply begin rambling about perception and reality. Also fair warning, I have a bad habit of writing in an unnecessarily confusing manner - doing my best not to, but will probably fail. Stay with me. For attempt two I begin: Is anything real? What is the nature of reality? Do you have a ‘mind’, or are you just a physical body? Incase this piece becomes dreadfully long, I shall spoil the ending… we still have no fucking clue. Since the beginning of Epistemology (the philosophy of knowledge, the study of knowing) the philosophies of Reductive Physicalism and Substance Dualism have dueled. (this is a bad pun but I refuse to apologize) Physicalism vs. Dualism Let us jump right in; (Reductive) Physicalism is the philosophical position that everything which exists is nothing more th

The Introduction to the Weirdest Stream of Thoughts You've Ever Read

An Introduction to Nicole’s Weird Stream of Thoughts I would like to make it clear from the get-go that I, in absolutely no way, am qualified to write a book about physics, philosophy; frankly, I don’t even think I’m qualified to write a blog period. I’m a 16-year-old girl, who ironically, is not academically talented in the slightest. I may not be qualified now, but call me back in 16 years and see if my list of qualifications has gotten longer. Hopefully, I’ve gotten off my couch and decided to contribute to society. Or at least gone for a jog.  There’s a well-known cliche of a saying: Curiosity killed the cat. For some reason, people seem to subconsciously live by this quote. There's lacking interest in the unknown -- there’s a fear of what the unknown holds, what it means, or perhaps it's the fear of the work you’re required to do in order to solve the mysteries of the unknown. Physics, cosmology, philosophy --- they’re all equally complicated subjects. Most scien

A Paradoxical World

Dear, You. If you expect this article to reach a conclusion, you will be disappointed. if we do not know what it is that we do not know, there is no way we can know what we know. so all that we can know, is that we do not know; and by the same effect, we still cannot know that. As someone who must search for the meaning behind every apparent aspect of their life, I have always been astounded by the universally polar description of my interests. I find physics and other STEM fields to be fascinating, in the same sense that I have been a devoted painter for the majority of my life - and more recently, a ‘poet’. These fields, means of understanding, have always appeared to be direct opposites. The antithesis of each other... I disagree. Both science and art are human attempts to understand and describe the world around us. The subjects and methods have different traditions, and the intended audiences are different, but the motivations and goals are fundamentally the same. One of the most